ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:51:37 GMT
At 06:04  14/6/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm not sure if this solves the problem (I'm still not
>exactly sure what the problem is... :-) ).

the problem is that in some cases it is desirable to add taskdefs while ant
is running so that in one build file  you can compile and then use the
taskdef. Currently you have to have two build files. One to create taskdef
and another to exectue that taskdef. This may be okay in 90% of projects
but those who have small numbers of project specific taskdefs (like mine
:P) have to go to painful lengths (like 2 build files/passes) to make sure
everything is a-ok. I just wanted to get rid of that if at all possible.

>I'm wondering if it might be useful to have a special
>task that simply takes a Map in the execute() method
>(of all the attributes that have been set).

This would bring it into line with a lot of other similar structured
technologies (ie most component based tech that end with -lets ala
Serv-lets App-lets etc :P). However it would mean the death of any
automated schema/DTD production for build files. I tentatively think it may
be the way to go for large tasks but then again it would mean a lot of work
to re-engineer current system and it may upset a whole bunch of people with
custom tasks.

Cheers,

Pete