ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:00:02 GMT
At 08:11  14/6/00 -0400, you wrote:

>There are several reasons.  The simplest is that the current architecture
>is to call the init method of every object before the execute method of any
>object is run.  Moving object creation to execute would make this
>impossible...

okay. Is that a requirement (ie is there any tasks that rely on this
functionality ???). Would it be enough to create/init tasks when they are
about to be executed (or perhaps as the target is executed). The only tasks
that it could effect (that I can think of :P) are the scripting ones. But
scripting should prolly deal with the XML tree rather than directly with
objects so you are not tied to any particular implementation ??? Even then
you could do the creation/initing at target start to get around most of
this. How often is it the case where you want to script a task in a target
other than the target that the scripting task resides in ? (ewww thats a
mouthful :P)

Cheers,

Pete