ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:20:31 GMT
At 05:40  14/6/00 +0200, you wrote:
>In the case of one attribute being a directory that should be expanded
>to a file list it seems more likely that the list will be constraint
>by other attributes (judging from my own buildfiles where about two
>third of all MatchingTask implementations I call use include/exclude
>attributes).

hmm so really what is happening is 1 + N attributes are determining the
value of another hidden attribute (namely the filelist). Damn ... I can't
think of a good way to make that any easier without significant complexity
which is a bad thing :<

Can anyone else think of an easy (as in easy for task developers not
necessarily core developers) way besides inheritance/ugly delegation that
this can be done ?

>As to your wish to only display the output on some conditions - apart
>from the loglevel - I'm not sure. It doesn't feel right to me to
>bother the build tool with this - I would probably prefer a custom
>logfile postprocessor task .

possibly ... however it is not uncommon among other build tools (Well at
least those on Win32 ... *nix rarely puts superfolous messages out :P). I
guess I am too used to the unic way ... ie no news is good news or only
tell me something when something goes wrong (or I put on verbosity).

> PD> BTW spec/core.html is dated "Version 0.5 (2000/04/20)" and
> PD> doesn't seem to contain all I thought it would .. is there a new
> PD> version or should it be considered a work in progress ??
>
>You should consider anything as a work in progress 8^).

ahh :P

Cheers,

Pete