ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Dimock <t...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Possible Exec and MatchingTask Refactorings
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:00:14 GMT
At 04:58 PM 06/27/2000 +0200, you wrote:

> TD> Going in a slightly different direction with this, how about a
> TD> <worklist> task which creates a named list of files?
>
>My main problem with this is that it uses the Property mechanism (and
>even the ${} syntax - but I won't spoil .duncans chance to state his
>opinion on ${} 8^).

I didn't really make myself clear that I was NOT proposing that syntax,
rather I was just trying to get the idea of a worklist out there for
discussion.  Such a concept would help make many of my ant build files
simpler.  I have been on this list long enough to know that .duncan hates
the ${} syntax, but not long enough to know what was proposed to replace
it....

The main point was that a <worklist> could be used in different attributes
of a task like <exec> to get different behaviors. Having <exec> implement
the matchingtask behavior does lead to the ambiguities you mentioned.

>I'm still not sure what to think of your idea.

Fair enough...   :-)  It was not too clearly stated!
       Tom Dimock  ----  Cornell University  ----  tad1@cornell.edu
"There go my people.  I must follow them, for I am their leader."  M. Gandhi