ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Dimock <t...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: [RFE] Richer Task Specification
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:06:12 GMT
At 08:06 AM 06/26/2000 -0400, Sam wrote:

>For now, I would suggest we keep it simple: only allow tasks to appear
>before or inside of targets.  There is no loss in functionallity, and it
>would tend to keep the build.xml files more readible.  If there is a need
>for this later, we can certainly relax the restriction easily enough.
>Pseudo-dtd:
>
>   <!ELEMENT project (task*, target*)>

This feels a little like the "default package" in Java.  Classes with no
specific package fall into the default package which is implicitly imported
into all packages.  Tasks not in a specific target fall into the default
target, on which all named targets implicitly depend.  This does siplify
the construction of simple build files, and allows them to gracefully grow
in complexity.  I like it.
       Tom Dimock  ----  Cornell University  ----  tad1@cornell.edu
"There go my people.  I must follow them, for I am their leader."  M. Gandhi