ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: mkdir and rmdir / Windows
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:08:25 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@m64.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 05:02
Subject: RE: mkdir and rmdir / Windows

> > It is really an operating system level issue.
> If, for example, you have a directory in an explorer window and you do
> 'build clean' which deletes that directory, it seems that the directory
will
> continue to exist albeit in some transient state. The directory will
appear
> in directory listings but any attempt to use it will get an "access
denied".
> Try it from the command line to see that this is not peculiar to ant. Once
> you "let go" in the explorer window, the directory disappears from the
> filesystem.
>
> Whilst the directory is in this transient state, it appears that
> File.exists() will return false but that any attempt to create the
directory
> quite naturally fails.
>
> Not much to be done.

You could find all running copies of explorer.exe and kill them, but it
would probably be considered antisocial.

I think, putting on my wintel hacker hat, that you could locate explorer and
talk to it enough for it to let go gracefully (This happens when network and
other drives are mounted after all). It is probably something trivial like
broadcasting a device change message, which could be tapped into 5 lines of
win32 app. But it would be a test nightmare, -I would need to test the whole
set of (win95, 95.2, 98, 98.1, 98.me, Nt4, win2k) against the spread of
explorer versions out there (classic, IE4, IE5).

So raising an exception is the only rational option.

-steve