ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@m64.com>
Subject RE: asynchronous tasks
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:50:40 GMT
Ernst,

> Hi Conor,
>
> What is the advantage of executing tasks asynch ? Perhaps I'm missing
> something here, but I'd say they are usually processor-bound, so
> you will not
> get extra speed out of it. And since a Java process is single-process by
> design, I assume even a second processor would not be able to
> speed this up.

Performance of builds is not the motivation here. We use ant to perform a
JUnit test run on our system, a Weblogic application. I start a Weblogic
server in one ant task and run JUnit in another. These tasks need to run
concurrently. Nevertheless, our builds do take a fair while and I think it
may be possible to speed this up by using concurrent processes.

Conor