ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Yann Kloniecki" <y...@club-internet.fr>
Subject Re: Ant "features"
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:19:30 GMT
Dear Jacob
Of course, we can use only "classic" tag. I've had the same problem using JDK1.3. If tou see
the jakarta-ant's  javac code the Jikes compiler is used when we specifie "modern tag". I'm
new user of Jakarta Project. Do you know how automaticly loaded a servlet using  Apache/Tomcat
environment ?
I know why with Jserv but it's obsolete because Jserv don't run under JSDK > 2.0 and my
init servlet use setAttribute method of getServletContext().
Another thing, do you know where i could find Source Code Control (CCS) documentation on the
web ?
Thanks and sorry for my very bad english. :-(

Yann KLONIECKI....South of France
yklo@club-internet.fr
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jakob Ramskov
  To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
  Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2000 6:14 PM
  Subject: Ant "features"

  Hiya Ant developers.

  I'm very fond of Ant, it kind of removed my need to use an IDE. Now I just use a simple
java-aware text editor to code in.

  Anyway there are a few "features" in Ant that I dislike.

  1) How come you can't use wildcards in <delete file=.. ? For instance in my rel dir,
I would like to delete all properties after they have been added to my jar via. <delete
file="*.properties"> ... I feel handicapped without.

  2) There's something wrong with the java compiler. the docs say that only .java files that
are newer than the .class file gets compiled. Well is it clever enough to compare against
the .class files in the deployment directory? Because I don't store my class files with the
java files. Perhaps the reason why, everytime I run ant, ALL my .java files get compiled,
and not just the ones I edited, is that I use packages. I call the command like this:   <javac
srcdir="src/client" destdir="rel/client" /> where each dir has a package called "com.ramosa.blabla"
inside. It's not intelligent enough to figure out which files needs compiling.

  3) build.compiler="modern" doesn't work, even though I have JDK1.3.0 installed, i miss a
verbose output that tells me exactly what compiler is used, rather than just "classic/modern"
since I have 2 or 3 installed.

  Other than that, it's a wonderfull tool, keep it up!

  - Jakob