ant-dev mailing list archives

From Mariusz Nowostawski <mari...@marni.otago.ac.nz>
Subject Re: New tasks.
Date Thu, 04 May 2000 00:35:03 GMT
On Thu, 4 May 2000, Tom Cook wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm newish to ant, and new to ant development. Last night I
> wrote a task to compile IDL using the Visibroker 4 idl2java tool. This
> deals with all the options etc. Are you guys interested in such
> product-specific tasks being added to the project?

That would be cool if that would not depend on specific idl compiler. I
would imagine the task taking idl compiler name + compiler specific
options as options (text) and the include/exlude list of idl files to
work on - it was exactly on my todo list for tommorrow ;o) If your task
takes the idl compiler as an option (and not rely on
hardcoded visibroker specific things), I would be interested in getting it
(as we are using orbacus here) even if blokes from ANT are
not keen of including it as a part of ANT.
To me though, idlcompile seems perfect as a task, even not an optional
one, as it does not rely on any other stuff as such. True that different
compilers take different options, but an interoperability between idl
compilers is not that big deal here, as projects usually depend on single
ORB anyway.

---

Yesterday I wrote a task to compile EBNF grammar files to parser/lexer
pair using the SableCC parser generator tool. This deals with some
options etc. Are you guys interested in such product-specific tasks being
added to the project? To me it seems to be all right to add it as an
optional task as it rely on specific jar (conditional compilation as
with netrexxc). I thought that it would be nice to have it more generic,
as for example to work with javacc (metamata) parser generator, but in
contrast to idl compilers parser generators differ in philosophy and it is
tricky to find a common denominator for them.

regards
Mariusz