ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Cook <tc...@ardec.com.au>
Subject Re: Fixes for org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac and org.apache.tools.ant.Project
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 23:41:09 GMT
A few comments:

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Phil Hanna wrote:

> Unfortunately, the translatePath() problem is not always possible to solve because the
Unix and Win32 path formats do not map completely.

True.

> For example, what should we make of c:/test?  It could be a single Win32
> directory or two Unix directories.

Mmmmm, how likely is it that absolute paths will map from a win32 to UNIX
environment? To take your example, it seems very unlikely to me that a
'C:\test' on one system will map to '/test' on another system. Things get
more complicated as the paths get deeper - different conventions are used
on each system. For instance, applications are in "C:\Program Files" on
Win32, and are smattered over /usr, /usr/local, /opt and /mnt/* on UNIX
systems. None of these are restrictive, but they clearly don't map well. I
wonder, then, how valuable mapping absolute paths from Win32 to UNIX and
back again is. Clearly relative paths within a project are likely to
remain consistent, but absolute paths I feel need more thought.

> (Forward slashes should be treated as valid, even on Win32).

Do M$ Win32 systems recognize them?

Cheerio
--
Tom Cook - Software Engineer

"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts functioning the moment you get
up in the morning, and does not stop until you get into the office."
	- Robert Frost

LISAcorp - www.lisa.com.au

38 Greenhill Rd.          Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville, SA, 5034        Sydney, NSW, 2000

Phone:   +61 8 8272 1555  Phone:   +61 2 9283 0877
Fax:     +61 8 8271 1199  Fax:     +61 2 9283 0866