ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Vitaly Stulsky" <vitaly_stul...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: A question about "available" and doing conditionals in a build xml file.
Date Thu, 18 May 2000 10:46:59 GMT
> I think tasks that generate files from other files like javac, copy,
> rmic and the not yet available idl2java or javacc should all check
> whether they need to do anything themselves.

I share this point of view. I've written idl2java task for my ORB which
checks whether it needs to recompile IDL. The following after JAVAC
automatically excludes stubs and skeletons from compile list,
cause the file timestamps doesn't change from previous compile.

> There have been idl2java tasks (two of them IIRC) sent to this list
> during the last two weeks but I recall them to be vendor
> specific. I've never been using CORBA myself and don't know whether a
> generic idl2java task with vendor specific implementations (like javac
> is the generic interface to javac and jikes) could be feasible.

It is possible to combine all tasks for different vendors into one task.
As I imagine it will be something like javac-jikes differences in
javac task now. After creating this task for one ORB (idl2java from standard
JDK distribution) users of different ORBs will post their ORB specific code.
As I think this way we can receive good idltojava task for different ORBs.

Vitaly