ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: Fixes for org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac and org.apache.tools.ant.Project
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 00:44:55 GMT
Phil,

This little area of ant causes many problems :-) I would like to explore the
issues a little further.

> Apache and Tomcat recognize and handle c:/path/path/file
> correctly.  So does
> Perl, most editors, most zip tools, all the java.io.* classes and all the
> GNU utilities.  Principle of least astonishment.  Converting c:/path to
> c;\path is a bug.  Code should be robust enough to handle it.

Fair point. However I would find the fact that all single letter paths are
impossible under Unix somewhat astonishing ! The fact that they disappear
quietly would be more so.

> I would think requiring paths to be written one way for Win32 and another
> for Unix defeats the purpose of Project.translatePath().

Just to be clear, we are only talking about absolute paths, not relative
paths. Absolute paths have to be different anyway.

> The
> goal should be
> that a build.xml file should be able to be lifted from one environment and
> used in another with as little difficulty as possible.

A build file with absolute paths must be changed anyway. Can a build file
with an absolute path ever be used without change on another platform? Your
change could make these things harder to find since the absolute paths of
Win32 would be accepted without any problems. The present solution isn't
perfect detecting one platform's absolute paths being used on another
platform. I would rather see such cases flagged as errors than just quietly
accepting them and using some other inappropriate path.

Cheers
Conor