ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kuiper, Arnout" <Arnout.Kui...@nl.origin-it.com>
Subject Task functionality next version Ant
Date Fri, 05 May 2000 07:58:35 GMT
> My company's current project requires the class files in the
> same path as
> the sources, so in order to do a 'clean' I needed to remove
> the .class files
> from the source tree.  We also have generated .java files, same thing.

Now we are talking about task functionality here, how about
defining some for the next version Ant.

I think that all the basic tasks of which we have multiple versions,
should be "consolidated", such that we have 1 copy, 1 delete and 1
rename/move. This could be done as it is in most OSes.

So for copy we could have the following possible combinations:

1. <copy srcfile="file" destfile="file"/>
2. <copy srcfile="file" destdir="dir"/>
3. <copy srcdir="dir"   destdir="dir"
         includes="includes" excludes="excludes"/>

1. Copy the file in srcfile to the file in destfile.
2. Copy the file in srcfile to the directory in destdir.
3. Copy the directories in srcdir to the directory in destdir.
   Includes and excludes are optional. When ommitted, all files
   and directories are copied.

Other attributes could be added like "forceoverwrite" which forces
the task not to check on timestamp. Also the already existing
"filtering" attribute could be added, although I'm in favor of
placing that in a separate task (Copy should do just a copy and
nothing more).

For delete we could have the following combinations:

1. <delete file="file"/>
2. <delete dir="dir"
           includes="includes" excludes="excludes"/>

1. Delete the file in file.
2. Delete all directories and files in dir, using the optional
   includes and excludes. When ommitted, all files and directories
   in dir are deleted.

The move task (I think this is a better name than rename) could be:

1. <move srcfile="file" destfile="file"/>
2. <move srcfile="file" destdir="dir"/>
3. <move srcdir="dir"   destdir="dir"
         includes="includes" excludes="excludes"/>

1. Move the file in srcfile to the file in destfile.
2. Move the file in srcfile to the directory in destdir.
3. Move the directories in srcdir to the directory in destdir.
   Includes and excludes are optional. When ommitted, all files
   and directories are moved.

Any comments?

  Arnout