ant-dev mailing list archives

From wolf.siber...@tui.de
Subject RE: Fixes for org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac and org.apache.tools.ant.Project
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 07:50:12 GMT
Conr MacNeill wrote:

> This little area of ant causes many problems :-) I would like
> to explore the
> issues a little further.
>

> > Apache and Tomcat recognize and handle c:/path/path/file
> > correctly.  So does
> > Perl, most editors, most zip tools, all the java.io.*
> classes and all the
> > GNU utilities.  Principle of least astonishment.
> Converting c:/path to
> > c;\path is a bug.  Code should be robust enough to handle it.
>
> Fair point. However I would find the fact that all single
> letter paths are
> impossible under Unix somewhat astonishing ! The fact that
> they disappear
> quietly would be more so.

What about handling it like most of the other tools:
They behave different on different platforms.
On *nix, they interpret c:/sample as "look in relative
path c, then in absolute path /sample",
on Win*, they interpret it as "look in absolute path
c:\sample".
That behaviour would be convenient for both *nix
and Win* users. As You already pointed out, there
is no way to have absolute paths which work
unchanged on every platform. So the different
behaviour on different platforms wouldn't hurt
anyone.

Wolf