ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Ant's XML Library?
Date Mon, 22 May 2000 18:55:45 GMT

Bril Pappin wrote:
> What happened to the XML distribution the used to come with Ant? I
noticed
> that ant now uses some javax.xml.* classes... but that library is no
longer
> included in the read only CVS tree.
>
> Anyway, the upshot is that I can no longer even bootstrap Ant...

The binary distributions will likely contain one (or more) implementations
of these classes for you to choose from.  At the moment, we are in an
in-between state and the documentation is lacking.

Meanwhile, you can use the official JAXP reference implementation from Sun
(http://java.sun.com/xml/download.html), or can use development versions of
Xerces which include this code.

Background on the reason for this change: users who wanted to use Ant on
projects which depend on Xerces were constantly running into problems
finding the correct order in which to place these jars in their classpath.
The right technical solution is to to allow the users the freedom to choose
the implementation of their choice.

- Sam Ruby