ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <jofer...@us.oracle.com>
Subject Re: Call for patches
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 23:06:03 GMT
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> > One thing to note, in my implementation I actually support script
> > blocks in terms of processing instructions (PI)
> >
> > <?script
> >  var foo = 1;
> >  var bar = 2;
> >  var cond = (foo < bar) && (bar - foo > 0);
> > ?>
>
> Please don't make me reinvent this.  If you send it, I will integrate it
> ASAP.

I really like the idea of using PI forthis kind of evaluation. In particular I
think
it would settle the controversy about conditional properties being evaluated
during runtime or during loading of the XML.

By using processing instructions, I think one can make a clear case for the
processing
to occur as the XML is parsed. Which is consistent with the current ideas about

when properties are evaluated.

Maybe it would also make sence to treat the available task the same way. As a
PI.

> My feeling is that adding a simple thing as ORs or ANDs to BSF is the
> beginning of a very slippery slope...by the time you are done you end up
> with XSLT.  XSLT is great for pattern matching and tree manipulation, but
> as a programming language it leaves something to be desired.
>
> I very much want the BSF core to be free of all of this.  People who don't
> need this stuff are not encumbered by it.
>
> Then I want an optional package which allows you to use the scripting
> language of your choice.  At that point, you will be free to use all the
> facilities of that language.  However, you will have to accept all that
> that implies.  If you want to use VBScript and manipuate the Windows
> registry, then your build script will likely only ever run on Windows.  And
> if you feel so inclined, you can even make the steps optional based on the
> value of various Java system properties.
>
> And I agree that a PI would be a more natural syntax for this in many
> cases.
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> P.S.  CDATA can also be used to avoid the need to subsitute entity
> expressions for operators.
>
> P.P.S.  BSF will either become open source, or I will die trying.  I'm
> meeting again today with the IBM lawyers.

 Jose Alberto Fernandez               500 Oracle Parkway, M/S 9op4
 Development Manager                  Redwood Shores, CA 94065
 ORACLE Corp.                         Phone: (650) 506-8830
 Java Products Group                  Fax: (650) 506-7303
 Languages & Obj-Relational Tech      Email: jofernan@us.oracle.com