ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Ant questions.
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 19:35:20 GMT
David Forslund wrote:

>  I have two questions about ant.
>
> 1) It seems that I have to have Sun's jaxp1.0.1 library to compile
> Ant. Am
> I configuring it wrong or is this the way it is. I didn't see any
> documentation to that effect.

If you are using a version of Ant later than the 3.1 release, that is
correct -- Ant has been made JAXP-compliant so that you can use any
JAXP-compliant parser.  If you use the reference implementation, you'll
need "jaxp.jar" and "parser.jar" on your class path -- for any other
parser, replace these as described in your parser's documentation.

> 2) I have a directory with about 3000 java files in it (about 25 or
> more
> packages) autogenerated from CORBA idl. Ant runs out of memory trying
> compile them. Can I tell Ant to compile only so many at a time, or do
> have to manually break the packages up?

I assume you are using the "ant" script that came with the release,
right?

On Unix systems, you can set an environment variable called JAVACMD to
include command line options to change the memory allocation.  For
example you might want to do this:

    export JAVACMD="java -mx64m"

to set the maximum heap to 64 megabytes.  On Windows systems, you can
modify the "ant.bat" file to include this switch for you.

> Thanks,
>
> David W. Forslund dwf@lanl.gov
> Advanced Computing Laboratory http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~dwf
> Los Alamos National Laboratory Los Alamos, NM 87545
> 505-665-1907 FAX: 505-665-4939

Craig McClanahan