ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <jofer...@us.oracle.com>
Subject Re: Generic tasks for idl2java, javac ... (was Re: A question about "available" ...)
Date Thu, 18 May 2000 21:36:37 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>  VS> BTW where is third bullet? :o)
>
> Oh well, I should better write an enumeration minor-mode to catch
> these 8^).
>
>  >> 4. Have only one option at all - for the command line.
>
>  VS> I don't like this one ....
>
> Neither do I.
>
>  VS> I see this approach like abstract idlToJava task which has to be
>  VS> extended by specific implementation.
>
> The way tasks are handeled right now - and are expected to be handeled
> in the future - would not allow abstract task classes. The static
> factory method you propose doesn't fit into the way Ant works either.
>
> I do agree your approach seems to be the most flexible one but would
> need some changes to the Ant core.

We could use a delegation model instead. The IdlToJava task constructor
will
just inspect the corresponding build.compiler.idl property and create
a corresponding subclass of itself. then it will delegate to it all entry
point invocations.
Probably the delegation needs to be designed a little more, but it should
work.

And with that pattern stablish one could do the same for others like
<javac>.

Finally, one could allow in this task to specify something like vendor

<idltojava ... general options ....>
  <vendor class="...." option="literal options">
</idltojava>

Meaning that the attribute option will only be set if build.compiler.idl
has the same
value as attribute class.

What do you guys think?

> Stefan

 Jose Alberto Fernandez               500 Oracle Parkway, M/S 9op4
 Development Manager                  Redwood Shores, CA 94065
 ORACLE Corp.                         Phone: (650) 506-8830
 Java Products Group                  Fax: (650) 506-7303
 Languages & Obj-Relational Tech      Email: jofernan@us.oracle.com