ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: Generic tasks for idl2java, javac ... (was Re: A question about "available" ...)
Date Thu, 18 May 2000 14:57:57 GMT
And, to add fuel to the fire, in JDK 1.3, Sun's idl2java
has been replaced with "idlj". See their web page for
details.

My personal take is that there are so many ways to go
here that finding common ground may be hard. I'm perfectly
happy to have the standard Ant tasks handle 80% of the work,
and then handle the messy stuff on a one-on-one basis. For
example, I'm happy to use the "java" task to invoke the
particular vendor's idl2java tool that we use.

Perhaps with time the numerous ways to do idl2java will
be thinned out to a manageable set. Until then, is it
worth the effort to try to have an all encompassing
idl2java task? I think not. Each Ant user is probably
using only one idl2java tool, so for his/her site,
they can handle it with either the 'java' task, or
'exec', or defining a new task.