ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Eugene Bekker" <ebek...@powervision.com>
Subject Re: Patch: JAVAC dependency tracking and multiple src paths handling
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 03:31:55 GMT
I think the problem is not so much discovering the path separator for the
current platform, the problem is that you want to write a generic build.xml
for all platforms, so a standard separator needs to be used.

One alternative is to add an attribute that specifies what the separator is
for tasks that need to parse list of dirs/files.  Or perhaps a global
property that defines one.

Tom Cook wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Vitaly Stulsky wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > 2) With applied patch it is possible to use such src dirs:
> >               <property   name="src.dir"
> >                                       value= "com/company/progr/mainprogr;
> >                                                       com/company/utils/protocol;
> >                                                       com/company/utils/db;
> >                                                       com/company/utils/diag;
> >                                                       com/company/utils/html;
> >                                                       com/company/utils/sort;
> >                                                       com/company/utils/string;
> >                                                       com/company/utils/thread;
> >                                                       com/company/utils/test;
> >                                                       com/company/utils/timer
> >               />
> >    All paths must be separated by semicolon ( I estimate Unix users indignation,
> > but now current
> >    approach easily extended to usage semicolon on NT platform and colon on
> > Unix).
>
> There is a very standard mechanism in Java for discovering the path
> separator:
>
> package java.io;
> public class File
> {
>         public static String pathSeparator;
>         public static char pathSeparatorChar;
> }
>
> This is hardly a hard interface to use, instead of hard-coding...
>
> --
> Tom Cook - Software Engineer
>
> "The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts functioning the moment you get
> up in the morning, and does not stop until you get into the office."
>         - Robert Frost
>
> LISAcorp - www.lisa.com.au

> 38 Greenhill Rd.          Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
> Wayville, SA, 5034        Sydney, NSW, 2000
>
> Phone:   +61 8 8272 1555  Phone:   +61 2 9283 0877
> Fax:     +61 8 8271 1199  Fax:     +61 2 9283 0866

Eugene Bekker
Chief Architect
PowerVision Corporation
http://www.powervision.com