ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barnhill" <bbarn...@twcny.rr.com>
Subject Re: Request for Help building with Head co from CVS
Date Sun, 21 May 2000 15:40:26 GMT
Thanks for answering, I appreciate it.

Yes. I needed to do that when I grabbed the latest release.
I think the release I had used before was old, as it seemed
to use DOM, not SAX.  I have the current release version
running, and I can do a full cycle (change, build ant, build
test project and have changes reflected).  Question is
whether I should be developing from a release base or from a
nightly build base?  If nightly builds may not run, then if
possible I'd like to stay working as I am now.

Btw, MacroExpansion package is going quickly, so I'm going
to need help in how to submit this for review.  I read that
I should submit a msg to this list with a subject line
    PATCHES - short description of patch
and a body containing a cvs diff of the changed code versus
baseline code. Can my baseline be the current release, or
does it have to be nightly builds?

What follows is a semi-short description of MacroExpander
package:

MacroExpander interface -
    .. exposes a public static void expandMacros method
MacroExpanderException, extends BuildException,
    .. used for parsing errors, missing properties, etc.
Eventually this will be base for more detailed exceptions
DefaultMacroExpander, implements MacroExpander
    .. this is the current macro functionality pulled out
into a MacroExpander impl.
    .. macro format (Tried doing this in formal state spec,
but I don't remember enough of it to be valie. I'll brush
        up and have something cleaner when I submit)
    .. $(macrostr) and macrostr has format macroname
SubstMacroExpander, implements MacroExpander, extends
DefaultMacroExpander
    ..  if  macroname has no colons then default to
DefaultMacroExpander
    ..  otherwise handle format $(macrostr) where macrostr
has format macroname[substlist]
    .. substlist has format
:replacedstr,replacementstr[substlist]
    .. no patterns in either string in this version
    .. substlist are handled in sequence, so the second acts
on the output of the first, etc.
RegExMacroExpander, same as above except can handled
RegExpressions in replacedstr

I am thinking of another package to go along side it,
Feature, which would encapsulate most of the generic aspects
of a feature.
For example init, cleanup, maybe eventually an ability to
decide if it wants to listen to build events, and then to
listen to them.  For right now this would just be a clean
way to implement a check for a Feature.MacroExpander.Class
property and grab instance of class so we don't have to do
introspection every time a string is expanded.

Change would also include
    .. some mods to Main to accommodate MacroExpander init
from property as above and cleanup
    .. possibly a task that changes that property and re
grabs an instance if class different
    ..  most of the functionality of replaceProperties in
ProjectHelper being replaced with an outcall to the
        selected MacroExpander.