ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject More meaningfull parser errors (was Re: I want to become an Ant developer)
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 11:31:26 GMT

 SM> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

 >>  checking whether buld.xml is at least well formed and
 >>  providing better error messages would be helpfull.

 SM> +1, this is already in the todo list

 >>  Maybe Xerces would provide more usable error messages and thus >>
 >>  just switching the parser would help?

 SM> yes, xerces is much better at error codes than projectX, for what
 SM> I've seen, but maybe it's a problem with Ant that doesn't print
 SM> that information passed on the SAXExceptions...

No, I don't think so. I've downloaded Xerces, hacked together an
org.apache.tools.ant.Parser implementation for it (anybody
interested?) and tried the following part (surrounded by a valid
build file):

    <javac srcdir="${src.dir}"
           destdir="${build.classes}"
           classpath="${classpath}"
<!--           debug="on" -->
           deprecation="on"
           optimize="on" >

The result using projectX

BUILD CONFIG ERROR: Can't open config file: buildfail.xml due to:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: com.sun.xml.parser/P-031 <

followed by a stack trace with no new information. I've also dumped
out the original stack trace of the SAXParseException, dind't really
help much.

The result using Xerces

BUILD CONFIG ERROR: Can't open config file: buildfail.xml due to: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
Element type "javac" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".

and the stack trace.

So yes switching parser does help indeed.

Stefan