ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: I want to become an Ant developer
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 07:30:56 GMT

 SM> Timo Koepke wrote:

 >> -perhaps validation of build.xml files

 SM> You mean creating a DTD/Xschema for Ant?

Which would only work for build.xml files that don't use taskdefs. Or
the one putting the taskdef into it would be responsible for editing
his/her own DTD/Xschema.

 SM> But I agree that validation is a good thing.

Yes, especially since we have to live with rather useless
SAXExceptions in case of syntactic errors.

While I think full validation is of low priority checking whether
buld.xml is at least well formed and providing better error messages
would be helpfull.

It took me a rather long time to see that the parser shipped with Ant
chokes on comments inside elements like

<javac ...
  <!-- deprecation="on" -->
/>

nsgmls didn't complain at all and I'm not sure who is right here, but
the provided parser exception sure didn't help at all.

Stefan