ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: dynamic properties?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2000 06:48:41 GMT
Hi Mark,

you've been tricked by one of the most confusing features of Ant, but
read on ...

 MP> Secondly, I'm about to write my first ant task and as such I'd
 MP> like to be able to add properties to a project as a result of the
 MP> task execution.

The current situation:

You can add properties at task runtime but the ${...} constructs in
your build file are replaced at parse time, so you won't see the
effects unless the later running tasks explicitly ask the project for
some property's value.

There is wide agreement that this is no ideal situation. Take a look
at spec/core.html in Ant's CVS tree to see what Ant is heading
to. This document hasn't been carved into stone yet so feel free to
comment, propose changes ...

Stefan