ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: Properties ignored under Windows?
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 07:09:14 GMT
>>>>> "sr" == rubys  <> writes:

 sr> I just committed a patch which restores the ability to define
 sr> properties and taskdefs outside the scope of any target.

 sr> Such definitions are processed in the order that they are found,
 sr> and prior to any target, but otherwise behave exactly as if they
 sr> were included in a target.

Isn't that _exactly_ the same behaviour then?

Property and taskdef tasks do their job in their init method not in
execute which means they are "executed" whenever the parser finds them
- in the order they are found and prior to any target even if they are
defined in targets. Am I wrong?

Defining those outside any targets just makes this clearer. Maybe the
use of property and taskdef tasks inside of targets should even be
deprecated because of their side-effects?

Personally I'd prefer binding properties later - during task execution
not parsing that is.

  <target name="init">
    <property name="test.prop" value="1" />

  <target name="init2">
    <property name="test.prop" value="2" />

  <target name="test" depends="init">
    <echo message="${test.prop}"/>

should result in 1 being echoed not 2 - and null if test didn't depend
on init.

View raw message