ant-dev mailing list archives

From mpfoe...@ThoughtWorks.com
Subject Re: Ant Principles
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 00:07:13 GMT

1) Using the same jar in multiple modules shouldn't be a problem, although
the same class might get loaded by different classloaders. This actually
has some benefits, since different modules might use different versions of
the same classes. For example, we might have one module that requires
version 1.0 of Xalan, and other that requires version 2.0.. These modules
could live in different classloaders and peacefully coexist...

2) I like the idea of using URL's to find the jars. Then when I download a
project I don't even have to bother checking that I have the right ant
modules installed...

Matt Foemmel
ThoughtWorks, Inc.

                    "Thomas Haas"

                    <thomas.haas@softwire        To:     <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

                    d-inc.com>                   cc:

                                                 Subject:     Re: Ant Principles

                    04/19/00 04:12 PM

                    Please respond to

                    ant-dev

> For the case where projects define their own taskdefs that don't really
> need to be "installed" on the users machine, we can offer an alternate
> syntax for the load statement. The following will basically create an
> "anonymous" module (using the ant-special.jar and utils.jar, both in the
> lib directory) and load it on the fly:
>
> <load classpath="lib/ant-special.jar:lib/utils.jar"/>

1) Can you handle task depending on classes, which are part of another task
ans residing in another jar?
2) Syntactic sugar: Allow URLs to allow even easier deployment (ideal for
large installations with unattendet builds running) and the Path class
(with
extensions);

<load>
    <classpath definition="lib/ant-special.jar:lib/utils.jar">
        <element location="${user.home}/.ant/ext/my.jar"/>
        <element url="http://build.example.org/ant/ext/more.jar"/>
        <element url="http://build.example.org/ant/ext/even/more.jar"/>
    </classpath>
</load>