ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kuiper, Arnout" <Arnout.Kui...@nl.origin-it.com>
Subject RE: Ant build.xml
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 17:56:32 GMT

+1 for me.

> A third proposal - let's tag the workspace ( Apr. 4  or
> anything ) - it
> is important to have a "known" ant that is used to build
> other projects.
> If possible, please don't change the ant's build.xml with the
> latest and
> greatest features - right now it works, and if it's not
> broken don't fix
> it. You can ( and should ) create test cases for any change, but
> build.xml is not intended as a test suite.
>
> It would also be nice to not change ant behavior or remove features -
> people are using ant as a build tool. Ant has a very clear design that
> allows you to desing new tags without changing existing ones, and to
> specify what implementation you want for a certain tag. Just extend or
> create new tags based on the tags you feel are "wrong", and
> use them in
> your own build.xml. I would rather use a stupid but stable
> ant, instead
> of a very smart ant that changes every day.

I agree. Personally I would go even further by having full blown releases.
This makes Ant much more usable for the end-user. When you are a regular
user, use the released version. If you like living on or over the edge,
use the CVS version.

Working with releases also gives a more clearer target to work towards.

 -- Arnout