ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject RE: Ant Principles (Design pattern)
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:42:25 GMT

> Arnout Kuiper wrote:
>
> This means that we cannot
> have nested elements using the "text" tag. This is probably
> not a big problem (as long as it is documented in the
> documentation for task writers), because you can always use
> a synonym.

I thought that way at first too, but the more I think about it, it need not
be the case.

True, String is an Object, but its null contructor doesn't construct
something that is particularly useful.  Furthermore, String doesn't have
any bean properties which will enable a null string to ever become more
useful.

While I'm not much of a fan for special cases, adding a special case in the
code to ignore addText(String) when looking for elements removes a special
case for the task designer, and in my mind, that is always the right
tradeoff.

- Sam Ruby