ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Properties ignored under Windows?
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 11:38:22 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Property and taskdef tasks do their job in their init method not in
>execute which means they are "executed" whenever the parser finds them
>- in the order they are found and prior to any target even if they are
>defined in targets. Am I wrong?

You are correct.

>Defining those outside any targets just makes this clearer. Maybe the
>use of property and taskdef tasks inside of targets should even be
>deprecated because of their side-effects?
>
>Personally I'd prefer binding properties later - during task execution
>not parsing that is.

Welcome to the ant-dev mailing list!

This is exactly the issue that generated much heated discussion on this
list.  I believe that everyone would agree that allowing properties to be
defined inside of targets but executed at parse time is confusing.  And
that we don't want Ant to become a full blown programming language like
Make or XSLT.

Beyond this, there isn't 100% agreement, but I am confident that there will
be some mechanism which will allow binding properties during task execution
defined (it may have a different syntax, and may be scoped to the target,
but bound at runtime).

- Sam Ruby