ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Twiggs, Glenn" <Glenn_Twi...@bmc.com>
Subject RE: Ant module in Forte
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2000 23:30:46 GMT
I agree that this should become a part of the ant project. As Craig points
out, Tomcat has set the precedent by providing connectors to commercial http
packages. There is a lot of activity in the Tomcat connectors codebase which
leads me to believe that this is what open source developers want, and will
spend time on creating/maintaining.

Glenn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan
Subject: Re: Ant module in Forte

"Kevin A. Burton" wrote:

> Jayme Edwards wrote:
> >
> > As a side note, the package is currently org.apache.antmodule, I can
modify
> > this to org.apache.tools.ant.module if you'd like. Also, there is
nothing in
> > the module that alters the compilation of Ant, you will not need a
separate
> > build, just an additional target to output the module that is itself
> > dependent on Xerces/Xalan (if desired). The module uses a combination of
> > XPath and the Ant API to accomplish the target execution/creation.
Either
> > way, I want to make sure Sun is able to include this module in the
> > auto-update list for Forte , so whatever I/you would need to do to
> > accomplish this would be great.
> <snip>
>
> I am always +1 to see SUN OSS something. :)
>
> However this just doesn't "feel right"..  Forte is going to be OSS under
> the MPL eventually.  Why not just have it public (MPL but a separate DL)
> until then?  I don't see why we should adopt something that is IDE
> specific.  I mean would we host an ant-integration plugin for Symantec
> Visual Cafe? JBuilder?  I don't think so.

How is this any different than Tomcat hosting connectors to Microsoft's IIS
or
Netscape's NES web servers?  If your goal is ubiquity, you go for it and
don't
wait around for the ideal world that may or may not ever happen.

>  Also, would ASF people apply
> patches if 3rd parties find bugs.  This would be a drain on resources
> for something that is vendor specific.

If someone sends a patch to the IIS connector for Tomcat (as has happened),
I'm
certainly interested in seeing it applied.

For Ant it's the same issue -- I'd prefer to see Ant used everywhere as a
build
tool.  That means integration APIs with these environments.  After all, once
they
see how cool Ant is because it's open sourced, your message about why they
should
do the same gets reinforced.

> My opinion is that it should be open sourced.  We should work with you
> as much as possible but that it doesn't totally fit to put it in the
> Apache CVS.

I disagree.  If people want to contribute connectors for various
environments, I'd
want to see them.

> Kevin

Craig