ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Ant Principles
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:33:49 GMT
> Right now I can see
>
> 1. JRE 1.1 or better.

JDK 1.2 or better. It's out and final under Linux and I don't really
care to wait another damn day before moving on with life. If everyone
pussyfoots around and waits for somebody else to go to 1.2, then we'll
never get there and we'll be trapped in this eternal loop of waiting. I
was okay specing 1.1 before because of the lack of 1.2 for linux, but
that argument is gone.

But that's me.. :)

As far as JDK rather than JRE, you point out later why. Also, I expect
any sane developer to download the JDK. Ant isn't a replacement.

> 2. A JAXP conforming XML parser.

+1

> 3. Some supported means to compile Java source files - currently this
>    means either you have the sun.tools.javac package or Jikes.

Right.

.duncan