ant-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Haas <thomas.h...@softwired-inc.com>
Subject Re: How to make the build fail when exec encounters non-zero exit code?
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 06:39:14 GMT
Hi Kevin

Hack the Java/Exec task. I am having the same problem and addedsome code to
Exec:
Change the execute method to

        if (run(command) != 0) {
            throw new BuildException("Exec failed.");
        }
    }

I do not feel ready to contribute this patch, because I feel Java/Exec
should be improved beyond exit on errors:

  1. Use String[] as commandline instead of a String, as the String gets
     parsed Runtime.exec and it would be easier to specify arguments
     containing spaces.
  2. Get rid of antRun on Unix - is there a real need for this?
  3. Move the functionality from Exec to a seperate class to allow tasks not
     inheriting from Exec to spawn processes (like Javadoc and Jikes).
  4. Many more feature like tunable output and a watchdog to kill hanging
     processes.

(I am working on some of the above)

- tom

--