ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I want to become an Ant developer
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 18:41:31 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>  SM> Stefan Bodewig wrote
>
>  >> While I think full validation is of low priority checking whether
>  >> buld.xml is at least well formed and providing better error
>  >> messages would be helpfull.
>
>  SM> +1, this is already in the todo list
>
> Maybe Xerces would provide more usable error messages and thus just
> switching the parser would help? I know you are involved with
> xml.apache.org projects so maybe you could comment on this?

yes, xerces is much better at error codes than projectX, for what I've
seen, but maybe it's a problem with Ant that doesn't print that
information passed on the SAXExceptions...

>  >> It took me a rather long time to see that the parser shipped with
>  >> Ant chokes on comments inside elements
>  >>
>  >> nsgmls didn't complain at all
>
>  SM> nsgmls is not exactly the bext xml editor available...
>
> OK, http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-comments quite
> clearly says nsgmls was wrong.
>
> It (nsgmls) was the one I had on my disk as I'm using DocBook - the
> SGML version - to document my code (design documents, user manuals all
> the boring stuff you're forced to do).
>
>  SM> unfortunately, it's one of the best you get for free
>
> Other recommendations?

The best XML editor around is, by far, XMetaL (www.xmetal.com)... but
way too expensive for what gives you, IMVHO.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.