ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: Ant module in Forte
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:01:00 GMT
Jayme Edwards wrote:

> As a side note, the package is currently org.apache.antmodule, I can modify
> this to org.apache.tools.ant.module if you'd like. Also, there is nothing in
> the module that alters the compilation of Ant, you will not need a separate
> build, just an additional target to output the module that is itself
> dependent on Xerces/Xalan (if desired). The module uses a combination of
> XPath and the Ant API to accomplish the target execution/creation. Either
> way, I want to make sure Sun is able to include this module in the
> auto-update list for Forte , so whatever I/you would need to do to
> accomplish this would be great.
<snip>

I am always +1 to see SUN OSS something. :)

However this just doesn't "feel right"..  Forte is going to be OSS under
the MPL eventually.  Why not just have it public (MPL but a separate DL)
until then?  I don't see why we should adopt something that is IDE
specific.  I mean would we host an ant-integration plugin for Symantec
Visual Cafe? JBuilder?  I don't think so.  Also, would ASF people apply
patches if 3rd parties find bugs.  This would be a drain on resources
for something that is vendor specific.

My opinion is that it should be open sourced.  We should work with you
as much as possible but that it doesn't totally fit to put it in the
Apache CVS.

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)