ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Code obfuscation taskdef
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:34:35 GMT
Hi Serge!

I recognise your name - you're one of the coders of Town, aren't you. Small
world! :)

>I'm sorry if this has already been discussed... I just joined the Ant
>mailing list (wishing there was a web based archive of messages),

I'm working on it...

>but I
>wanted to see if there was any interest in developing a code obfuscation
>taskdef for Ant (and if anyone was already working on this).  I was
>thinking of using something like JAX (100% pure java, from alphaworks)
>which removes unnecessary methods, and renames methods to very short
>names, all which should compress the code, making it quicker to download
>and execute, and harder to decompile.

I think this would be very popular. Obviously, ant doesn't have to be used
just for open source projects.

>Also, are there other code obfuscators (preferably open source) that
>people here would recommend?  I think this tool would be very useful for
>people using Ant to generate applets.  Thanks.

Hmmm... Open source obfuscators, what a strange concept! It's not
self-contradictory, but it's a very odd combination.

I've done a big clean up of the Open Directory's Java categories at

http://directory.mozilla.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Java/

and I could only find a few obfuscators, and none of them were open source:

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Java/Obfuscators/

I haven't used them myself.

--
Robin

My favourite quote of today :-)

Cameron Price had flown down from Real Networks in Seattle to attend the
conference. Identifying himself as "just a grunt software developer," he
pointed out what everyone was saying: it's not just a browser, it's a set of
tools. During the group discussion, one developer even said "I'd like to see
Mozilla come out and not have any browser with it."