ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <>
Subject Re: Code obfuscation taskdef
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:34:35 GMT
Hi Serge!

I recognise your name - you're one of the coders of Town, aren't you. Small
world! :)

>I'm sorry if this has already been discussed... I just joined the Ant
>mailing list (wishing there was a web based archive of messages),

I'm working on it...

>but I
>wanted to see if there was any interest in developing a code obfuscation
>taskdef for Ant (and if anyone was already working on this).  I was
>thinking of using something like JAX (100% pure java, from alphaworks)
>which removes unnecessary methods, and renames methods to very short
>names, all which should compress the code, making it quicker to download
>and execute, and harder to decompile.

I think this would be very popular. Obviously, ant doesn't have to be used
just for open source projects.

>Also, are there other code obfuscators (preferably open source) that
>people here would recommend?  I think this tool would be very useful for
>people using Ant to generate applets.  Thanks.

Hmmm... Open source obfuscators, what a strange concept! It's not
self-contradictory, but it's a very odd combination.

I've done a big clean up of the Open Directory's Java categories at

and I could only find a few obfuscators, and none of them were open source:

I haven't used them myself.

My favourite quote of today :-)

Cameron Price had flown down from Real Networks in Seattle to attend the
conference. Identifying himself as "just a grunt software developer," he
pointed out what everyone was saying: it's not just a browser, it's a set of
tools. During the group discussion, one developer even said "I'd like to see
Mozilla come out and not have any browser with it."

Get Your Private, Free Email at

View raw message