ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: dependencies during compilation
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:19:44 GMT
Can't you just compile them all at once? Like this:

<target name="compile1" depends="prepare">
   <javac srcdir="${base}"
          includes="**/*.java"
          destdir="${build}"
          filtering="on"
          debug="on" />
</target>

NOTE: The Ant documentation is misleading. Ant is not like Make - it knows
nothing about dependencies (shoot me down if I'm wrong here, people). It is
really just a simple build scripting tool, and it relies on the compiler to
handle dependencies (Sun javac is quite good, jikes is allegedly even better
with its +F option). In a situation where you have no class files yet,
everything will be compiled, so there is no problem. (Just tell your users
to run the "clean" target and build again, if there is a build problem - of
course, efficiency goes out of the window, but you can't have everything! ;)
;)