ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Standard compilation JSR
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2000 05:28:34 GMT
> - The compiler should use callbacks to the invoker to locate source files.
This
> leaves all source-path issues up to the invoker, not the compiler. Source
files
> could come from directories, jar files, databases or strands of DNA but
the
> compiler needn't know about such things.

True. Streams in.

> - Similarly, the compiler should invoke a callback to give the invoker the
> completed class file(s). This lets the invoker store the class as a file,
as a
> database entry or whatever. Again, the compiler needn't know a thing.

... and streams out... Now, I don't necessarily agree that it needs to be
callbacks, but that's a detailed discussion.

> - There should be a way to get back other info that compilers routinely
create.
> Things like symbol tables and inter-class dependency info.

Yes. Especially if you are generating code to feed to the compiler.

> I don't think this should be done as a JSR. There are plenty of projects
(such
> as the JavaC task) that need this now. I think the JSR process would be
too
> slow.

Actually, if you don't do it as a JSR, the most important compiler
available, the one that ships with each and every JDK, won't be compliant.
JSRs don't have to be any slower than any other approach. We're looking at a
few months for the JAXP.next schedule from start to finish -- SAX2 took
longer than that and there wasn't any process to follow. And if you go too
fast, you'll probably (not necessarily, but probably) end up with a bad
design.

Whomever wants to pull together this JSR, I'll be happy to help however I
can.

.duncan