ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Vitaly Stulsky" <vitaly_stul...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Path & dir separators (was Re: Ant Principles)
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:13:12 GMT
> My sugestion was to NOT define how files or directories should be specified
> and just pass the String from the build file to java.io.File and let it do
> the work This allows user on Unix, Windows and Mac write crossplatform build
> files. This allows also people working on more uncommon system having
> completly differen file semantic work on their system. Remains the case
> where people are working across incompatible system (in respect to how the
> respective java.io.File implementation interprets file definitions). Those
> people could use nested elements to define files and use whatever syntax we
> can agree on: you suggested '/', URL notation is another possibility but
> their would be many others.

My solution is to localize platform dependent information in separate files.
For example all pathes and directories can be placed to project.win.porperties,
project.unix.properties, project.mac.properties. When ANT will be started
it can select proper properties file and load all pathes. I think it is
impossible
to find least common denominator in this problem and find good solution.
I did the same in my build scripts (I used Korn shell and UWIN). All pathes
was set as environment variables.
As I understand here it is important to avoid mix up of two differnet project
info dimensions:
1) Project decription, dependencies, build sequence.
2) Phisical locations.
First dimension is platform independent, second depends on platform.

> As stated previously, I see no need in us defining how files or directories
> syntacticly should be defined, let java.io.File do the work for us.

I agree with you. I think my previous description let java.io.File objects
succesfully does its job, and the second benefit - this approach localize
all platfoprm dependent information in one place. If a developer decides
to use one-platform build, he(she) can simply do not create this files.