ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Haas" <thomas.h...@softwired-inc.com>
Subject Re: Path & dir separators (was Re: Ant Principles)
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:39:42 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: James Duncan Davidson <james.davidson@eng.sun.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: Path & dir separators (was Re: Ant Principles)

> > Cosmetic: I prefer the word "path" being reserved for list of files or
> > directories. I therefor prefer something like
> > <directory id="foo" location="../work"/>
> > Instead of location file could be used, to indicate that the contents is
> > processed by java.io.File, unless it confuses people, because it says
directory
> > in the first place. Actually anything but "path" is fine with me.
>
> But, it's not just a directory that you'd want to spec, but something
> that creates file object.. fileref?
>
> .duncan

Of course... and the proposal said, give ant a hint in which form the
directory has been specified:
<directory location="..."/>    The directory is specified in a way that
java.io.File understands
<directory url="..."/>    The directory is specified in a way that
java.net.URL understands
<directory ant="..."/>    The directory is specified in a ant crossplatform
ways

If I understand you right, directory will be represented by some FileRef
object. The original proposal stated, that FileRef would have
setLocation(File)
setUrl(URL)
setAnt(String)

As I said in another mail, to me, no definition on how files or directories
are specified is needed.

The discussion was also based on the existing createXXX scheme of handling
nested elements. So it is possible, that the proposal clashes with the new
way of handling nested elements. If so, forget about this thread.

- tom