ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Soergel <lo...@lorax.org>
Subject Re: dependancies (was: Re: FW: 1 suggestion and 1 bug...)
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:16:50 GMT
>Hi,
> I've also been thinking about this.  The current javac task doesn't
>handle dependancies between java files.  If you change an interface
>then you have to clean and remake to check all files that use that
>interface are consistant.
>
> The other part of this is that I don't want to have to specify the
>dependancies in all cases.  There should be a make-depend like
>system.

I'm not sure it makes sense to put a complicated dependency tracking
thing in ant, with regard to .java files anyway, when "jikes +F"
already does what you want.  The way I use it is to make a dummy
class with references to all the classes in my app, e.g. public class
JikesDeps { myClass a; myOtherClass b; }, and then jikes +f
JikesDeps.java.  This way only things that have changed, and things
that depend on things that have changed, get compiled.

-ds

David Soergel                                lorax@lorax.org
Department of Genetics                  http://www.lorax.org
Stanford University School of Medicine        (650) 303-5324