ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Generalization of available (setif and setunless)
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:09:38 GMT
Sorry to reply to myself,

I've been playing around some more and finally found that property
expansion in the build file takes place before any Tasks have been
run. You knew that for sure 8^).

The tests I had done before involved running ant with -verbose and see
Project reporting properties being set.

This takes away the usefulness of the "value" attribute and reduces
the things you could do with it - I cannot see anything apart from
using the if-attributes in targets and of MatchingTask.NameEntry.

So what now:

1. drop my proposal altogether?

2. drop the value attribute and keep setif, setunless as a slightly
   more flexible available?

3. defer set... calls on tasks together with the expansion of
   properties to the point the task is actually run?

Kind of embarrassing to introduce myself with a not too well informed
proposal, sorry.

Stefan