ant-dev mailing list archives

From Edwin Park <>
Subject Re: I want to become an Ant developer
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:06:15 GMT

> > -conditional execution of targets (based on values of properties)
> already present

Is this true?  As far as I know, Ant allows conditional execution of
targets only based on the existence or nonexistence of properties, not on
their values.

> > Hi there,
> >
> > my name is Timo, and I want to become an Ant developer.
> <IMHO>not a great start: "want to become" sounds like an order.</IMHO>

Just one other thing, which is meant to be constructive criticism - I hope
that you will receive it as such.

Stefano, I was frankly rather shocked at the tone of your response.  To
me, "want to become" sounds like a motivated and committed potential
contributor who should be encouraged and guided, not shut down.

The strength of open source is derived from its community, and yes, it can
also be a weakness because you are bound to run across people with
different strongly held beliefs, but that just means we need to make the
extra effort to listen carefully and communicate, lest we miss some
valuable insights or opportunities that come along.

View raw message