ant-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: What flavour of scripting?
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2000 05:15:10 GMT
> > That's one thing I wanted to change in "my" ant... Why properties when
> > entities are soooo much nicer??? :)
>
> Are you guys serious?
>
> At first I discounted this suggestion - particularly given that it was put
> forward by the person who implemented "deep" properties on the Ant taskdef.

Since I may be the guilty one - it was done do get something done, in the
days when Ant was just a tool and we needed a automatic build system.

Hey, I said  I'm sorry - that's what happens when you try to do something
quickly. Feel free to -1 it and I'll rool it back  - feedback _is_
important, sooner the better!

> I don't understand how this could come anywhere near the current semantics
> - given that properties may come from the command line, be read from a
> file, and passed into subprojects.

For simple properties there is no need to implement anything - just add
<!ENTITY tomcat_build "../build/tomcat" > and use &tomcat_build;

For -D and "special" entities you need to tell the parser how to resolve
the entity. It's another hack, but at least the semantic for entities is
defined clearly and not so easy to turn into something else.

The person.