ant-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Re: What flavour of scripting?
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:12:12 GMT

> > Ok, Pier was right, I'm out of here, too much lost time.
> >
> > I saved a copy of the current ant and I'll use it, maybe add few new
> > tasks. I just want a build tool and not a functional/procedural language.
>
> Hehehehe :) Welcome aboard :)
>
> > What about this - we remove ${foo} and properties. Use &entity; which is a
> > standard XML construct and defined by W3C.
> >
> > We had far too many problems and spent too much time discussing
> > <property>, and if we remove it we'll have just plain XML. Property is
> > clearly broken.  Antfiles will be just XML files with no other
> > "conventions" or "rules"  inside.
>
> That's one thing I wanted to change in "my" ant... Why properties when
> entities are soooo much nicer??? :)

Yes, that's what I want too - I said that 3-4 times during this thread but
it seems there is too much noise. I'm glad I'm not alone !

The only problem used to be that you can't have &java.home; or define new
entities with -Danme=value using normal DOM ( AFAIK ). With SAX is trivial
- DocumentHandler can resolve entities to anything.

Costin