ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Flexibility Syndrom
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2000 01:16:32 GMT

Stefano wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Sorry to be harsh, but this is just a tool, damn it... we have real
> stuff to do!

;-)

Actually, I've been following this saga with intense interest.  And,
there's another side to this story.

;-)

I know the name and e-mail address of the person who added if-logic to ant.
The inevitable result was that some well meaning newcomer had what he
thought was a similar need and asked how it should be added.  This was
greeted with some rather bizarre assertions. I won't go into too many
specifics, but as long as my veto has any relevance, <chmod>'s that appear
after a <copy> will be executed in that order, and the order of
dependencies listed on a target will be observed, as was discussed here and
in fact is documented in the documentation.

;-)

So, if all of you guys who don't have much to add could keep it down, some
of us want to have a serious discussion here.

;-)

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  I've peppered this posting with smileys and have chosen to direct my
flamage only at people I have met (or in your case,  hope to meet next
week).

And if any of you don't have the time to follow this right now, trust me,
I'll make sure that the learning curve for making practical use of ant
remains where it is today - which is essentially zero.  That does not mean
that it will not become more powerful or flexible, simply that people who
don't need the power or flexibility need not be aware of it.

And that the implementation will remain modular, so that those who desire
to build a special purpose jar file can do so by simply deleting the parts
that they don't care about.

Deal?