ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Clere, Jean-Frederic" <jfrederic.cl...@fujitsu.siemens.es>
Subject EBCDIC xml bug?
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:50:35 GMT
I have tried ant in an EBCDIC machine but it seems it is not perfect:
The CVS xml files converted to EBCDIC are not processed OK.
I get the following exception:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character conversion error: "Unconvertible
UTF-
8 character beginning with 0xa7" (line number may be too low).

If I change the xml file to have the header:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="CP037"?>
All works OK.

Anyway I am not very happy with EBCDIC (cp037) because it is not the
native encoding of the machine I am testing on. I was thinking that sources
files
should always be in machine encoding. The makefiles for example...

It should it be possible to use the native encoding for the xml. So that any
text editor could be used to modify these files.
I see 2 possible ways:
1 - Use a header to request native encoding, for example:
     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="NATIVE">
2 - In jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/SunParser.java make the
changes, so it
     supports the native encoding (Tomcat is doing it!).

I prefer the 2, as it is already existing.

Jean-Frédéric Clère
EP LP DC22 (BCN)
Fujitsu Siemens Computers
Phone + 34 93 480 4209