ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <jofer...@us.oracle.com>
Subject Re: conditional build
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:06:15 GMT
James Duncan Davidson wrote:

> > There are two reasons for wanting tasklibs and different classloaders:
> > (1) You want to have a way to say: this sub-build requires such and such
> support
> >
> >       without needing to know it globally, which is required when using
> the
> > classpath.
>
> Hmmm. I don't know if we want to scope this sort of thing at the target
> level. I think it's a property of the project.

Exactly, a property of the sub-project. My point is that the top level project
does not need to know about what extras some sub-project may need.
Requiring everything to be in the CLASSPATH means the toplevel
(i.e., the thing starting the JVM must know about the requirements of every
project and sub-project we may try to build). This looks ugly to me.

> > (2) After we have lots of people contributing lots of stuff, you want to
> be able
> >      isolate the libraries apart to avoid any nasty conflict, except for
> the ANT
> > core which
> >     lives in the CLASSPATH, each library can use its own stuff.
>
> That's a good point.
>
> > Additionally, having libraries may allow things like the library declaring
> its
> > own tasks,
> > so like core, the action of defining the library declares its tasks
> implicitly.
> > This is a
> > little more of work, but should not be difficult if we use XML :-)
> >
> > If I ever get some time I'll try to work on it.
>
> I'm in the process of gathering design notes... I'll spend some time looking
> at this in the scope of things and see how it fits together.
>
> .duncan

 Jose Alberto Fernandez               500 Oracle Parkway, M/S 9op4
 Development Manager                  Redwood Shores, CA 94065
 ORACLE Corp.                         Phone: (650) 506-8830
 Java Products Group                  Fax: (650) 506-7303
 Languages & Obj-Relational Tech      Email: jofernan@us.oracle.com