ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Optional taskdefs and providing additional params to Taskdefs
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:40:51 GMT
Two things:

- We need to agree on a way to except optional taskdefs like the recent
xslt task.

I propose we place them in a org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional
package.  We really need to keep everything together in one place.
Thoughts?  I would really like to get this straightened out.

- We need to provide additional information to Taskdefs by enhancing the
interface to include a

public void setExtendedParameters( DocumentFragment df );

public DocumentFragment getExtendedParameters();

in org.apache.tools.ant.Task

Why?  The reason is that not all information about a task can be given
with just attributes.  Within the XSLT task I want to pass some
parameters to the XSLT engine (Xalan) and I can't do this without an
extensible mechanism.  The parameter is defined within the stylesheet
and not within the XSLT task so I can't just have hard-coded attributes
here.

What I want to do is this:

<xslt ...>
    <parameter name="test1" value="test1"/>
    <parameter name="test2" value="test2"/>
    <!--
    This would work for anything the user puts here.. only certain
elements would make sense
    to the Task though.
    -->

</xslt>

The task would then parse these parameters and set them when I
initialize Xalan.  The stylesheet would then get the parameters and
continue about it's merry way :)

Thoughts?

Kevin

--