ant-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Smith <mich...@sneakerlabs.com>
Subject Re: Unbundling copying support files from the javac task
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2000 22:18:08 GMT
"Twiggs, Glenn" wrote:
> The "copying support files" feature is one of the selling-points of ANT
> (at least for me), that I don't need to know all the details about
> setting up the "classes" directory. I like that "javac" is totally
> self-contained. Is there a situation where you would want to compile
> classes but not copy over the .properties file(s) used by those classes?

The problem I have with the automatic copy is not with the copying of
.properties, but with other files that are in my source tree.  Namely, .sqlj
files that are used to generate the .java files.  I also have various java
files that I just rename to SomeFile.java.old or SomeFile.java.tmp so it's
not compiled with the current build.  I don't want these files copied as
support files.

At the very least, the automatic copy should be limited to .properties
files, but my preference would be to see the automatic copy removed from the
javac task and replaced with the usage of <copydir>.

michael

--
michael@sneakerlabs.com
http://www.sneakerlabs.com