ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Flexibility Syndrom
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2000 03:09:04 GMT wrote:
> Stefano wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > Sorry to be harsh, but this is just a tool, damn it... we have real
> > stuff to do!
> ;-)
> Actually, I've been following this saga with intense interest.  And,
> there's another side to this story.

many of us aren't sharing that interest.... but you're the scripting man
> ;-)
> I know the name and e-mail address of the person who added if-logic to ant.

I know I am that idiot.... but hey, I had ords of users telling me how
painful was to recompile Cocoon and I needed something that worked and
nobody answered my mails.

So I did something that worked and didn't impact the others.

> The inevitable result was that some well meaning newcomer had what he
> thought was a similar need and asked how it should be added.  This was
> greeted with some rather bizarre assertions. I won't go into too many
> specifics, but as long as my veto has any relevance, <chmod>'s that appear
> after a <copy> will be executed in that order, and the order of
> dependencies listed on a target will be observed, as was discussed here and
> in fact is documented in the documentation.

Yes, s/n ratio dropped to almost zero
> ;-)
> So, if all of you guys who don't have much to add could keep it down, some
> of us want to have a serious discussion here.

Hey, what the hell, I don't have problems with that, but I would not
want to have to unsubscribe from this list also.

Can't we just be less verbose?
> ;-)
> - Sam Ruby
> P.S.  I've peppered this posting with smileys and have chosen to direct my
> flamage only at people I have met (or in your case,  hope to meet next
> week).

> And if any of you don't have the time to follow this right now, trust me,
> I'll make sure that the learning curve for making practical use of ant
> remains where it is today - which is essentially zero.  That does not mean
> that it will not become more powerful or flexible, simply that people who
> don't need the power or flexibility need not be aware of it.
> And that the implementation will remain modular, so that those who desire
> to build a special purpose jar file can do so by simply deleting the parts
> that they don't care about.
> Deal?

+1, lets "da man" take care of it.

I'm voting to make Sam, Ant's project manager.

Also, people, we need some versioning here.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.